We are looking for Family Support Volunteers to assist in Valley Park Family Centre.
Family Centre Support Volunteers – role profile
We are seeking volunteers to help in the Valley Park Family Centre area, serving: Heeley, Hemsworth, Newfield Green, Gleadless Valley, Meersbrook, Lowedges, Batemoor, Jordanthorpe, Greenhill, Norton and Woodseats.
Valley Park Family Centre, Norton Avenue, S14 1SL. Tel: 0114 241 6968
The aim of the Volunteers will be to support families access services at Family Centres that provide:
- Preparation for parenthood groups
- Health support and clinics run by Midwives and Health Visitors
- Stay, Weigh and Play session
- Fun learning activities for the family
And get help and support with:
- Infant feeding advice
- Baby massage
- Getting into training and work
- Information on healthy eating for your family, active lifestyles, dental care, home safety etc.
- Free and low-cost healthy start vitamins
- Registering your child’s birth (at selected centres only)
Why we need Volunteers…
There are many families that are not aware of services that are available or lack the confidence to attend groups in Centres. The Family Support Volunteers will raise awareness and support parents and Carers in receiving up-to-date information, attend appropriate groups or access the right support for themselves and their families.
When we need Volunteers
This role will suit people that can offer a minimum of a few hours every week, during the day (we are flexible with people that are parents and only available term times during school hours).
Volunteer core tasks
- Listen to parents / carers / families in a non-judgemental way and give them the space to talk
- Provide information and signpost
- Support colleagues in Family Centres to deliver sessions
- Alert your supervisor if you have any concerns about safeguarding
Skills, experience and qualities we would like you to have in order to carry out the role
- Confident talking to people face to face or over the telephone
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Good listening skills
- Reliable and punctual
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries
Skills, knowledge and experience you will gain in this role
- Confidence in engaging families
- Health and wellbeing knowledge and signposting
- Safeguarding, boundaries and good practice
- Confidentiality and data protection
- Understand the needs of growing families
- Understanding of UNICEF Baby Friendly Initiative
Benefits of volunteering in this role
This role is a great opportunity for you to help improve the health and wellbeing of families.
You will be provided with training and on-going support to carry out your role effectively.
We hope that the role will allow you to develop new, transferable skills that you need to access further education or improve your employability and CV.
Supervision & Support
You will be provided with regular and ongoing support from team members as well as formal supervision with an allocated supervisor.
Forging Families will pay for the DBS check required to work with families.
Forging Families will also reimburse you for any reasonable out of pocket expenses incurred whilst undertaking any activities within the scope of your role.
We are unable to provide childcare or reimburse childcare costs.
For more information, please contact us: email@example.com